Friday, February 12, 2010

sweat, toilets, and raw eggs

How do I explain everything that has happened to me over the last few days? I really don´t think it´s possible and it´s something you have to experience for youself like my fellow volunteers, but I will do my best to at least give you some sort of a shadow into my last few days. When we finally arrived in Paraguay Wedndesday morning, I had had about 11 hours of sleep in the past 3 days and it had been probably at least 24 hours since my last real meal. Although I would have gladly curled up in a ball on the airport floor and passed out (trust me, at that point I probably could have), I couldn´t help but smile at the group of people waiting outside to greet us and cheer for us. I think it was a needed reminder to why I wanted to be here in the first place.
I won´t go into all of the details of my training and host family not only because it would probably be just as boring for me to write it as it would be for you to read it, but also because it would take way to long to describe everything. So,I´ll try and give you just a few highlights. There have been very few moments since my arrival that I have not been very aware of the fact that I am a foreigner. The ever present one is the sweat. I started sweating the second I stepped off the plane and I haven´t stopped since except for the few minutes spent in the shower. (Yes, I shower every day now out of necessity). As soon as you step out of the shower you start sweating again. The first time I took a shower here, I think I dried myself of at least 3 times and kept getting confused as to why I was still wet. Finally I realized it wasn´t water, but sweat and I wouldn´t get dry until I went outside and sat in the shade and drank terere.
I know some of you have been wondering whether I actually have running water and a toilet. Good news for me! I do, and it´s great! The shower is really more of a constant dribble of water out of a shower head than a fawcet, and it´s close enough to touch the toilet with your foot while you are showering. And like most countries in South America, you have to throw away your toilet paper when you´re done. But, it works and I´m thankful.
Another constant reminder is the food. I´m not sure if I´m going to get used to the food here. Today for lunch I had fried eggplant and mashed potatoes and it was delicous. It reminded me a little bit of home. Last night though, I had some sort of mixture that was rice, beans, and I think raw eggs all warmed up. I truly tried my best to finish it but couldn´t and I went to bed hungry.
Everything is different here, and a lot of things are turning out to be strange and hard, but I love it here. Everything is green except for the bright red dirt roads and to a girl that has seen stop lights and parking lots instead of trees and feilds, the change is welcome. The people here are incredibly friendly and everyone wants to know everything about me.
I wish I could write more, but I have to catch a bus back to my house... hopefully there won´t be 50 people on it like there was yesterday with barely enough room to move around...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Ali!! i have been missing you like crazy, just ask Matt. He'll tell you that I'm all sad and depressed cause I can't call you. Then I go to text you and realize I can't and it makes it worse. Matt got me a present for valentines so that I can remember you everyday!! It was so sweet. But anyway, um I laughed when you said you hadn't eaten in 24 hours because if you were here you would be super grumpy and I feel bad for all the people around you there!! You better eat something for their sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like getting used to the hot and humid
    conditions in Georgia. I would shower before each meal, but I didn't bother drying off. In case the humidity wasn't at 100% , being wet,
    I could "cool off" on my way to go eat. The food was almost all recognizable and the pluming was up to U.S. standards. I'm getting excited to go visit you there. How many more months? Love, U.J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog came up as I searched for info on Kim Eggs Farm Asuncion. Can you help me? Email:jvstandish@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete