Thursday, February 4, 2010

how to fit your life in a suitcase

First, compile a list of everything you might possibly want or need for the next two years in a developing country. Next, go to REI and Target and empty your bank account on all the glorious items those stores have to offer. Third, buy the biggest pieces of luggage you can find. Finally, pray that you can actually fit it all in the required TSA guidelines for luggage.
I’m probably a hypocrite for writing this because I haven’t actually started packing… actually, that’s a lie. I put my sleeping bag in a suitcase, but that’s the extent of my packing so far. I’ve realized I have issues packing until I have every single item out and since I still have a couple more items to buy, I can’t pack anything (except for said sleeping bag). I keep looking at the slowly accumulating pile of stuff on my floor thinking about how it’s all going to fit but not actually doing anything about it. I even took a picture of all the stuff I have to pack sitting next to the bags I’m going to pack it in. I have a feeling the whole experience of packing is going to be some sick and twisted version of a tetris game/jigsaw puzzle. Luckily, I’m good at both, so I promise I will win, not the suitcase or the pile of accumulated stuff.
I must say, this month has been an interesting one to say the least. I thought having a month off would give me a good amount of free time to relax before I left but I feel like I’ve been busier this month than when I was working. It takes a lot more time than I realized to compile a list of everything you might want or need for the next two years and an even longer time to go out and buy it. Not to mention you have to factor in the unanticipated yet unavoidable returns as well as multiple visits to the same store because you realized you forgot something or added to the list of things you didn’t know you needed. Then I made sure to meet up with almost everyone in my life to say goodbye for the next two years. (I must say, I’ve gotten quite a few free coffees, lunches, and dinners out of this month. Thanks guys! Maybe I should do this whole leaving thing more often.)
As I am collecting and packing everything up, I’m realizing how easy it is to define myself by my stuff. Suddenly I’m cutting all of my belongings down to two check-ons, a carry-on, and a “personal item.” My definition just got a whole lot smaller. And, my definition has to follow TSA guidelines and rules. I can’t put my cat in my suitcase even though he technically fits. There is still a piece of me that’s struggling with letting go of part of my identity so I can fully embrace the culture of Paraguay. As excited as I am to live in another country and learn another language, I’m still having a hard time imagining my life without peanut butter and frozen yogurt and I’m still weirded out when I look in a mirror and no long see a nose ring (I had to take it out because facial piercings are offensive in Paraguay). I guess it’s one step at a time. Even if I don’t have a constant supply of electrical energy, immediate access to the internet or a jar of peanut butter handy, I’ll still live. It’s part of the experience anyway, right? Well, that said, I’m off to pack my life into a suitcase… or maybe I’ll go find dessert first and then I'll start packing…

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you should have someone proof your blogs before you post them. You "no long see a nose ring?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Two Check-ons, One Carry-on and One Personal Item,
    I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at my backpack, planning a trip to hitchhike across country, and looking at the pile of clothes and camping gear I feel I should take with me. Eventually it comes to a point where I'd rather leave than stay home and pack. That's when it gets fun. No more worries. Just stick it in and head out to the great unknown. And I made it there and back every time. For the record, your lack of a nose ring in no way diminishes my love for/pride in you. I'll see you tomorrow and again in a time period best measured in months. Love, UJ
    P.S. Another good job of writing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ali,
    Love the blogs. Enjoy each moment as it comes. Praying for a smooth trip to Florida. What do you think of the profile picture? Did not have anything else available or that would fit. That pic is about 16 years old :). Better than an empty sillouette. Did I spell that right? :)

    Love you Ali,
    Mrs. Tipton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you got it all in, that's for sure. I do wish I'd had a camera this morning when you came out of your room with "your life" in two back packs, one duffel and a huge rolling suitcase. As has been the case for all of your sweet life, you had it all figured out: One back pack on your front, one on your back, duffel over your shoulder and rolling case pulling behind. No need for any help as you negotiated the stairs with all that stuff in the dark, wee hours of the morning. I keep thinking of that little toddler who burned her finger on the iron and crawled off upstairs all alone to nurse her hurt. No tears, no cries for "mommy." Just a very strong will and an "I can do it myself" approach to life from the very beginning.

    By now you should be in Miami, meeting your fellow trainees. May God bless you, one and all.

    Love you so much, Marmie

    ReplyDelete