Sunday, September 19, 2010

a few lessons i have learned

I have already been in site for over 4 months now and I have my tri-yearly meeting with my bosses in Asuncion this week. Two weeks prior to coming in, I had to fill out a report basically giving statistics on what I had done in the last few months and what I have learned. While writing down numbers and giving data sometimes makes me feel like I actually am doing something, I found myself more interested in reflecting on what I’ve learned these past several months. While this is not a complete list, nor is it all included in the report I sent to Asuncion, I thought I would share some of my reflections and lessons with you.
• Be purposeful in doing things to make you happy. While being depressed sometimes seems an easier choice, staying active and involved is much more fulfilling both for me and for other people.
• Dogs are capable of having separation anxiety issues (aka my dog).
• There are moths that exist that are bigger than my hand.
• While spiders might be frightening, they do not “get you,” and I don’t need to call for help every time I see one… except for the poisonous ones… those are dangerous.
• I am an introvert. I need my time and space to be alone… lots of it!
• Despite my aggressive and take-charge attitude, I am very often shy.
• Listening to people speak in another language can be exhausting even if I am not participating.
• Food and drink always make conversation go easier. They are universal topics and a great way to bond with people. If you want to be aquaintances with people, share a drink. If you want to be friends with people, cook with them and share food.
• Sitting in silence is not a bad thing.
• Old wooden houses have LOTS of cobwebs and just when you think you have cleared them all out, they magically reappear.
• Trust people less but love them more.
• In English when we want to get out of a commitment but don’t want to say no, we say “maybe.” In Paraguay when you want to get out of a commitment but don’t’ want to say no, you can say, “later,” “tomorrow,” “in between now and tomorrow,” or even “yes” as well as several other evasive phrases. Almost always, people know exactly what you mean.
• There are days when the last thing I want to do is leave my house and go talk to people. I have learned that on those days, that is exactly what I need to do to make myself feel better.
• Both rich people and poor people waste resources and money, they just do it in different ways.
• I can go without much more than I thought was possible.
• Banana peels on the floors of city busses are a very bad idea.
• When it is 5 degrees Celsius outside and your house has very little protection from the elements, bathing is a painful event that is very rarely worth the suffering.
• I can function without an addiction to coffee. I am however, a much more energetic and happy person when I do get my morning cup(s) of liquid happiness.

3 comments:

  1. Great lessons, Ali. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of coffee were you used to drink every morning? just drip coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in "my" site for a good deal longer than you have been in yours without the advantage of having learned some of the more universal lessons that you have learned. Good for you. Please remember that we love you in all the various stages that life takes you through.

    ReplyDelete