Saturday, March 6, 2010

That tasted like cow brain

A day or two ago my neighbors killed a cow, a very common, typical event in Paraguay. Then they decided to roast the head for a few hours because Paraguayans tend to be quite resourceful. Although eating the cow head isn’t always very popular, it isn’t totally unusual to cook and head the whole cow head. Since one of the volunteers lives with the family, several of us were invited over to enjoy the spoils, aka roasted cow head. I knew that I at least wanted to see the remains of the cow and watch other people poke around and eat random parts the head of some dead cow, but I really wasn’t sure I wanted to try it. After watching a few people rip off pieces of meat, I decided that as gross as it might be, I might not ever get this opportunity again and how many people get to say they ate a cow head?
I must say, cow tongue actually tastes pretty good and I think that was my favorite part. While a couple of the guys were viciously digging in, I timidly poked around eating a few small bites of meat trying to convince myself not to be completely grossed out. When they started pulling out the eye, I was pretty disgusted, but you know cow eye really doesn’t taste all that bad. For those of you with weak stomachs I won’t go into more detail, but once you get over what it looks like and the rather squishy texture, you can almost convince yourself that you’re eating regular meat. Yes, I’m telling the truth, I ate cow eye and I have pictures to prove it. At that’s not even the end of the story; I also tasted the brain and cow brain tastes like fish. Although the whole experience really wasn’t all that bad, I have no intentions of repeating it, I don’t even typically eat regular cow meat, much less unidentifiable parts that come from it’s head. However, the next time someone asks me, “what’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?” I think I’ll have them beat.

3 comments:

  1. ok seriously tho.. why would u want that opportunity again?? lol.. ewww.. soooo gross ali!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will gladly trade you cheddar cheese for roasted cow eyes. You just need to tell me the exchange rate! I'm glad you had the courage to try them. Thanks again for sharing.
    P.S. Testicles are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go girl! Grab all the experience you can while you're having it. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete